credit card from Capital One
New NALC Union Plus credit card designed
for members to build credit through responsible use
Now, even more union members can get a Union Plus Credit Card. The new Union Plus Credit Access card is designed for members with average or limited credit and can help build credit through responsible use.
Three Union Plus Credit Cards are now available for union members and their families to apply for:
- The new Credit Access card offers unlimited 1.5 percent cash back earned on every purchase, the opportunity to earn access to a higher credit line after making the first five monthly minimum payments on time, and a low intro APR on purchases for the first nine months. (Designed for members with average or limited credit.)
- The Cash Rewards card earns unlimited 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase. It’s great for those who want rewards every time they make a purchase. It also comes with a low intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 12 months. (Designed for members with excellent credit.)
- The Rate Advantage card offers a low intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 15 months. After 15 months, the purchase and balance-transfer APRs are lower than the APRs for the other two Union Plus cards. (Designed for members with excellent credit.)
After just three months, eligible cardholders also have access to exclusive assistance grants*, including:
- Job Loss Grant of $300 aids eligible cardholders who have recently been laid off.
- Disability Grant of $1,600 to $2,700 helps eligible cardholders who have lost significant income due to a long-term illness or disability.
- Hospital Grant of $1,200 aids eligible cardholders with large, unreimbursed hospital expenses.
All approved grants are paid to the cardholder by check—and they never have to be paid back.
All three cards continue to offer benefits such as U.S.-based customer service and $0 fraud liability protection if the card is lost or stolen.
The NALC Union Plus Credit Cards are issued by Capital One, a U.S.-based bank. Union Plus offers more than 40 programs to union members, including a mortgage program that helps members facing hardship stay in their homes, a 15 percent discount on select AT&T wireless services, insurance protection, travel and entertainment discounts, and more.
For information about all the Union Plus benefits, including credit cards, visit UnionPlus.org/New.
* Certain restrictions, limitations, and qualifications apply to these grants. Additional information and eligibility criteria can be obtained at UnionPlus.org/ Assistance. Credit approval required. Terms & Conditions apply. Union Plus Credit Cards issued by Capital One, N.A.
NALC members and their families can take advantage of money-saving Union Plus benefits
|Click here for a flier that lists Union Plus programs plus phone numbers for specific programs and needs.
NALC members and their families are eligible for discounts on a wide variety of products and services! Click on the links in the boxes at the bottom of this page to learn more about these Union Privilege benefits.
Not only NALC members, but also their immediate family — including parents, spouses, children and dependents — can take advantage of these discounts. (The Union Plus Health Savings program is also open to the member's extended family, including aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins.)
The AFL-CIO created Union Privilege in 1986 to provide union members and their families with valuable consumer benefits. Union Plus benefits, offered by Union Privilege, serve the interests of today's working families. With Union Plus benefits, your union membership "pays" at work and at home.
Assistance for Union Plus program participants
affected by natural disasters
NALC members who live in areas affected by severe storms, tornadoes, floods and wildfires, and who participate in Union Plus programs, may be eligible for financial assistance.
Union Plus Disaster Relief Grants of $500 are available to help participants in the Union Plus credit card, insurance or mortgage programs who face financial hardship due to the recent natural disasters. The money does not have to be repaid.
To qualify for a Union Plus disaster relief grant, the NALC member must:
- Have been a victim of a FEMA-declared natural disaster or emergency in counties designated as qualifying for FEMA individual assistance. Click here for an updated list of qualifying counties.
- Have experienced a significant loss of income or property within the last six months due to that disaster.
- Have had a Union Plus credit card, Union Plus insurance policy or Union Plus mortgage for at least 12 months, with the account or policy in good standing (up-to-date on payments).
- Provide acceptable proof of property or income loss.
To apply for a disaster relief grant, NALC members who participate in any of the following programs can call:
- Union Plus credit card: 877-761-5028
- Union Plus mortgage: 800-472-2005
- Union Plus insurance: 800-472-2005
Click here for more information about Union Plus disaster benefits.
Union Plus introduces Union SAFE
Union SAFE is a $1 million initiative to meet the urgent needs of members facing economic hardship. Most of the new benefits are geared to qualified members who participate in a Union Plus program (credit card, mortgage, insurance). New benefits include:
Hospital Care Grants of $1,000 for members hit with large, unreimbursed hospital expenses (for Union Plus Credit Card, Mortgage or Union Plus Insurance participants)
- College Saving Grants of $500 for members who opened an account after July 1, 2011
- Job Loss Grants of $250 for Union Plus Credit Card holders who have been recently laid off for more than 90 days
- Mortgage Strike Assistance will now cover 6 full months of mortgage principal and interest payments for Union Plus Mortgage holders after 30 days on strike
- Waiver of $75 debt management plan enrollment fee, reimbursement of monthly DMP fees after a year in plan (about $350) and waiver of $50 bankruptcy counseling filing fee through Union Plus Credit Counseling
For more information:
A Liaison FAQ with what we anticipate will be the most common questions you might have.
- A flier in PDF that can be easily copied and distributed at meetings and in mailings.
- A press release announcing the new Union SAFE program
The best and quickest way for a member to apply for assistance, or to find out more about this program is online at www.UnionPlus.org/UnionSAFE.
|Union Plus Benefits:
|Union Plus Credit Card offers a range of credit cards for working families.
Entertainment discounts Savings on movie tickets, video rentals, theme parks and more.
Vacation Tours Union Plus teamed up with Go Ahead Vacations to offer members discounted tours to destinations worldwide.
|Motor club 24 Hour Emergency Roadside Assistance.
|Travel Center – save on airfare, hotels and condo vacations.
||Car Rental discounts — Enjoy up to 25% in savings when you rent a car or SUV from Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz and National.
Goodyear Tire & Service discount — Save 10% off all tires (5% off sale tires) and save up to 10% off vehicle service.
Education services — The Union Plus Education Program provides a range of services including scholarships, college test prep discounts, a college planning center and discounts from Powell's Bookstore.
|Medical Bill Negotiating Service The Union Plus Medical Bill Negotiating Service by Health Advocate provides free assistance negotiating bill reductions with physicians, hospitals and other medical providers.
||Union Plus Health Savings Program Save on expenses for prescriptions, vision care, diabetic supplies, on dental care services.
|ConsumerReports.org Union members can subscribe to ConsumerReports.org for only $22 per year.
||Pet Insurance program Union members save up to 10% off regular premium rates for insurance programs covering cat and dog illnesses and accidents.
|Pet Savings program Provides 25% off all veterinarian services from a network of 2,900 participating vets, and up to 30% savings on pet-related products and pet services such as pet food, pet grooming, pet boarding and pet supplies from thousands of merchants.
||Auto Buying Service buying or leasing a car or truck doesn't have to be a hassle. Union members can receive pre-negotiated, best-market auto pricing on new cars, trucks, motorcycles and most other vehicles without having to negotiate directly with the dealer.
|Clothing Discounts Get 5-10% discounts on union-made clothing from three providers of union-made apparel.
Credit Counseling Program NALC members can access free credit counseling, budget analysis and advice.
|Powell's Bookstore Powell's Books has grown into one of the world's great bookstores, with one of the book world's most successful dot-coms, serving customers worldwide.
Flower discount Send flowers, plants and centerpieces and get 20% off a minimum order of $34.99.
Legal Service In legal matters, union members rely on expert advice. And to help find lawyers who can answer their personal legal questions, members can consult the Union Plus Legal Service.
Moving discount — Substantial discounts on interstate moving rates with North American Van Lines and Allied Van Lines.
|Union-made Checks Union-printed checks and return address labels.
||Budget Truck Rental – Save 20% on local and one way rentals.
|AT&T Wireless discounts check out the union-member-only discounts and benefits for new and current cell phone customers of AT&T, a company that's proud to be union.
||Dell Computer discounts — Union Plus Computers & Tech Program offers an up-to-30% discount for union members on selected products purchased through Dell.
|Union Plus Mortgage & Real Estate makes obtaining a mortgage or refinancing easier and more affordable for working families. Union Plus assists during the entire process of buying, selling and refinancing homes and offers special programs for first-time buyers.
Health Club discounts Union Plus offers discount memberships to thousands of health clubs and gyms across the US.
|Home Heating Oil discounts — Union members in DE, MD, MA, southern NH, NY, NJ, PA, RI, northern VA and southern CT can participate in HEATUSA, a "buying club" that negotiates volume pricing discounts.