Nalcrest: A retirement that’s union-made
Nalcrest, the letter carriers' retirement community, is located in Central Florida just south of Route 60, midway between Tampa on the Gulf Coast and Vero Beach on the Atlantic Coast just east of Lake Wales.
Nalcrest features 500 garden-style apartments, arranged in clusters of four to 10 apartments—and all are on ground level. Efficiency, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments are available, starting from $374 per month. All are leased unfurnished on a yearly basis. Rental fee includes water, sewage, trash removal, basic cable TV, interior and exterior maintenance and use of all recreational facilities.
Nalcrest is committed to the spirit of, and compliance with, the Fair Housing Act and all anti-discrimination and fair housing laws. It is Nalcrest’s policy to make reasonable accommodations to our rules, policies and procedures and to permit reasonable modifications as necessary to permit our residents and applicants with disabilities the full enjoyment of their apartment home and community.
To request a reasonable accommodation or modification, please contact the Nalcrest rental office. In determining whether a requested accommodation is reasonable, Nalcrest may consider, among other things, whether the request places undue burden on Nalcrest or its staff; fundamentally alters its programs; or interferes with other residents’ health, safety or quiet enjoyment of the premises.
- Nalcrest:The NALC's place in the sun
- “Inside the retirement community for mail carriers” —ABC News’ “Good Morning America,” Sept. 8, 2014
- “How 3 niche communities are attracting retirees in droves” —Senior Housing News, Sept. 24, 2014
- “In Florida, These Retirees Deliver a First-Class Protest: Town of Former Letter Carriers Strives to Aid Post Office; Shunning Email, Dogs” —The Wall Street Journal, March 27, 2012. To watch a related video, click here.
- National Geographic magazine features Nalcrest; see Aug/Sept 2004 Postal Record article
- Map of the Nalcrest community
No pets allowed.
Those who are offered apartments must be retired letter carriers and members in good standing with NALC.
For information and an application, contact the Nalcrest office at P.O. Box 6359, Nalcrest, FL 33856-6359 or call 863-696-1121. An application form is available here. Please print it out and mail it to the address above.