Additional NALC retirement publications
These NALC retirement booklets and leaflets are available free to members. Contact the NALC Retirement Department for copies. See note of caution.
The publications are also available here in PDF format. Click on the booklet or leaflet to browse it online, right-click and save to download.
Questions & Answers on the Civil Service Retirement System
This NALC booklet covers Civil Service Retirement System retirement eligibility, credit for service, types of retirement, survivor elections, the Thrift Savings Plan, health and life insurance, and more.
Questions & Answers on the Federal Employees' Retirement System
Covers Federal Employees Retirement System retirement eligibility, credit for service, types of retirement, survivor elections, Social Security, the Thrift Savings Plan, health and life insurance, and more.
Survivor's Guide to CSRS, FERS, and Social Security
This booklet covers questions spouses or other survivors may have about death benefits. It applies to survivors under both the Civil Service Retirement System and the Federal Employees Retirement System.
Preparing for Retirement
As one starts preparing for retirement, the first question that usually comes to
mind is when and where to begin the process.
Since there is a lot of information to absorb, many forms to be concerned with and
quite a few decisions to make, all of this has been put into a framework of steps to follow in preparing for retirement.
This pamphlet outlines some steps that should aid in your preparation.
When a Retired Letter Carrier Dies . . .
NALC understands that dealing with matters after someone dies is a necessary task, but often one which is hard for the bereaved to cope with.
The Retirement Department stands ready to help spouses and other survivors through
the steps they must take to obtain survivor benefits.
This leaflet details the agencies and institutions that must be notified in order for survivors to receive retirement benefits.
When an Active Letter Carrier Dies . . .
The days following the death of an active letter carrier can prove to be quite traumatic. Many forms and notices must be obtained from the Postal Service and completed at this extremely stressful time.
The NALC stands ready to assist our members and their families during these difficult times. The information in this brochure, prepared as a guide with the letter carrier’s family in mind, contains data that can assist a survivor with this daunting task.
NALC members can help to ease the burden of their survivors by completing the personal information section on the back of this pamphlet.
*Caution: The information in these publications is based on the laws, regulations, policies, etc., in effect at the time they were published.
Online resources for retirees
NALC web pages of interest to retirees
- Letter Carrier Political Fund, NALC's PAC
- NALC Legislation and Political Action
- NALC community service activities
- NALC Food Drive
- Deliver for the Cure (MDA)
- NALC Auxiliary
- Nalcrest, NALC’s retirement community in Florida
OPM retirement pages
- OPM Main Retirement Page - A wealth of information on the Office of Personnel Management's extensive retirement Web site
- OPM Retirement Publications - Dozens of CSRS and FERS publications, straight from the source
Other OPM benefits pages
- Health Insurance Information - Federal Employees' Health Benefit Program, rules, open season, more
- Life Insurance Information - FEGLI information, calculator, publications
Other federal benefits
- Thrift Savings Plan
- Social Security Administration
- U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Workers' Compensation Programs
- Office of Veterans Affairs
Other sites of interest to retirees
- National Association of Retired Federal Employees (NARFE)
- Internal Revenue Service
- Savings Bond Calculator
- NALC Fact Sheets on Retirement Issues - Maintained online by NALC's Legislation and Political Action Department. Facts, legislative developments, links to bills, their progress and cosponsors.
- Thomas - The premier legislative information site, maintained by the Library of Congress. Search for bills, committee reports and everything related to federal legislation.
- U.S. House of Representatives - With links to Members of Congress, committees and legislation
- U.S. Senate - With links to Senators, committees and legislation
- RollCall - Authoritative source of Capitol Hill news