Here are some additional resources and documents to help local branch officers fulfill their duties.
- IRS Form 990
- NALC Constitution
- NALC Branch Officer’s Guide to Finance and Administration: Explains the duties of financial and administrative branch officers; discusses NALC dues procedures; provides information on Labor Department reporting; gives bonding requirements; and outlines proper branch record-keeping methods. (Updated January 2013)
- NALC membership: How to get information about NALC membership; membership recognition.
- LMRDA summary: Describes union member rights and officer responsibilities under the Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA).
- Election information: Guidelines for branch editors and officers on avoiding election law violations; requirements for notifying branch members about branch elections.
- Internal controls: Secretary-treasurer’s article from the July 2007 Postal Record, outlining the many ways a branch can protect its internal finances.
- Buy Union!: Buy union products, linked to the AFL-CIO’ “Do Not Buy” list at Union Label
- DOL blog: Toward the end of each month, the director of the Office of Labor-Management Standards posts articles on the Department of Labor’s official blog, with entries on various topics concerning best practices for internal controls, record-keeping and reporting. Readers can subscribe to the blog via RSS or provide an e-mail address to receive updates. Click here for links to the DOL’s compliance tips, and click here to access other publications.