News & information


October 2014 Results: $633 million YTD Operating Income

The Postal Service’s financial results for October 2014—the first month of Fiscal Year 2015—were posted on the Postal Regulatory Commission’s website last night.  

For October 2014, the Postal Service reported $633 million in operating income. This reflects a more than two-fold increase from the $274 million operating income reported in the same month last year.

Total mail volume was up nearly 7 percent over the same month last year, including a 7 percent increase in letter mail volume (First-Class and Standard combined) and a nearly 14 percent increase in Shipping & Package Services volume.

This is one of the best fiscal-year starts the Postal Service has had in many years. These strong results were made possible because of the level of service provided by postal workers, and because of the strong network of mail processing plants and post offices across the country.

Return to our Economics Blog